Sunday, June 22, 2014

A gun rant today



Saw this on facebook and made me flustered today. Isn't it sad that this is true?  Makes my stomach churn and makes me worry about Brayden starting kindergarten.  I am happy that I don't have to explain gay marriage to him, ever, because that is not something I care about.  Not that I dont' care about gay people, it is just that getting married, gay or straight, is other people's business, so not something I feel I need to explain to a 5 year old.  Later in life, if my son is gay, so be it, then we can have that conversation and I will love him anyway. School shootings though that is totally controllable, parents need to lock up their guns and teach their children the proper use of guns and emotions.  Guns are for hunting animals, not humans when you are mad or angry!  My personal belief is we do need some better gun control, I think it is weird that in some places we have lived I can go in and buy a hand gun and leave same day, but a rifle they need to do a background check.  A gun is a gun, they should be for hunting animals and protection. That is why we have the right to bear arms in this country.  However,  the world is a changing people. Mental health issues are on the rise, even among the youngest of people, our children.  Mental health needs to be addressed.  Kids are not being taught emotional regulation and they seem to think that to solve their problems with other kids they should kill or harm that person..  Isn't that sad?  Our kids live in a place where they would rather hurt another person than talk to that person and work out their issues?   I am not saying this applies to all kids or that it applies to only kids.  "Adults," I use this term loosely because a mentally stable adult wouldnt shoot another for "fun," are just as freaking crazy.  Poor mental health and guns just are not a good combination because impulse control and emotional regulation is not working properly in a person with a mental illness.   Don't get me wrong, I do not think we should lock up people with mental health issues either.  I have mental health issues and I know it.  I am comfortable talking about them and taking medication because I know the consequences of me not taking medication or talking, this includes poor impulse control.  For me, poor impulse control does not mean I would shoot up a school, but maybe I would shoot up myself; I like to believe I would not kill myself and I would probably go shopping and spend too much money, but suicide has crossed my mind.  In my healthy state of mind, I am not a fan of suicide, I believe it is a selfish way out of a problem.  It is a permanent fix to a temporary problem.  I know this, but suicidal thoughts still cross my mind when my emotional regulation is out of whack.  When these thoughts cross my mind, I know I need to reach out of my comfort zone and ask for help.  I know this for me, but sadly working in mental health, I know many others are not comfortable reaching out of their comfort zone, hence when shootings, suicide and homicide, occur.  Sure, accidents happen with guns. but as a proud gun owner I know that can be a consequence of owning guns.  This is why my guns are locked up, away from my 5 year old.  My son will not know the code to our safe until he is grown.  Sure he might use a gun and go hunting with his father, but the guns will be locked up when not hunting, that is what some might call being "over protective" but I like to believe it is safe parenting.  I don't want my son hurting himself and I don't want him, or I, to have to live with the guilt if he made a poor decision to harm another human with a gun.

This was a long rant for a short twitter post, I know, but it just seems this topic of gay marriage and school shootings should never have to be in the same post!  Please share how you feel in the comments below. I am not trying to start a debate, I am just curious in others opinions.  I am not swaying in my beliefs, but I might if I had all the facts :)

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment