Sunday, July 27, 2014

My "normal"

Cancer changes us with it. 
Period.
There is no other way to describe it.  Cancer touches us and then BAM nothing else is the same.  No matter how I try to be the same as I was before I was told I have cancer, I can't.   Recognizing my new "normal" has been hard.  It is still hard.  I still can't believe I have cancer, again.  

I have always felt different from other people; feeling like I CAN fit in anywhere but NEVER feeling like I actually BELONG anywhere.  Cancer has made me feel that way even more.  I look "normal" yet never feel normal since I am a sick no one can see.

Through much soul searching, I have come to the realization that my new normal is just me being me.  I am on this earth for a reason and that reason is to be me.  I BELONG here on earth to be my own kind of normal.  I have spent my life too busy trying to be normal for everyone else but never knew what normal was for me.

Cancer changed me.  Cancer made me realize my normal is okay.  I was worried and anxious about how I would change at the beginning of my cancer voyage and now I am grateful.  I know I am weird, but I am grateful for my cancer.  It has given me the gift of new life, a new normal , a genuine normal, and that is a real blessing.

Was it hard for any of you to accept your new normal after cancer?

No comments:

Post a Comment